Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Artist Statement

When people ask me "How long did it take you to paint that?" I now respond, "All my life." The confidence I have about my work is a result of a lifetime of joys and disappointments.

My palette has transformed into one that allows each color to stand alone to be recognized, while working to bring about the bigger picture with the hue that radiates along side it. That is the way of the South. Each person is a large character by their own right, but together, we find a way of building a culture that is unlike any other.

I, like so many around me, lived through and rose above Hurricane Katrina, and realize that her blessings far out weigh what someone else might consider a curse. Perspective, along with a good dose of its alignment, is very liberating in life and art.

No comments: